Thursday, June 15, 2017

5th week, final steps on the preparation of Mononucleosomes

When I came back on Wednesday, I took out my solutions from the refrigerator and stop the spinner. This was a struggle but not because it was hard removing the equipment from the refrigerator but for removing it with a wrist paint I felt during this process. This was due to the accident I had with my skate board but as a hard worker I still manage to complete my task and keep working. Once the solution was out of the refrigerator, I put the solution into a special test tube which you are able to see in figure #1 and you are also able to see my wrist support that one of my lovely friend let me borrow.
Figure #1 Special test tube for Centrifuge, this is test tube is used when using a powerful Centrifuge that goes faster than 3900xg
I set the centrifuge to a speed of 5000xg for 5 minutes and after this was done, I removed the supernatant and measured the Concentration of DNA using the UV-vis equipment. From our collected data, professor Andresen and myself found our that we lost about 300 mg of chromatin from our previous UV-vis sample but that is to expected when doing this kind of washing and processes. Once this was done, I dialyses my supernatant against 10mM Tris-HCI and 1mM  CaC12 at 4 degrees Celsius. I was only able to create three dialysis bags for my supernatant due to the fact that my supernatant volume was a lot, the rest of the supernatant will be placed in dialysis bags the next day.
The next day I came back, I removed the dialysis bags from the buffer and created the rest of the dialysis bags for the rest of my supernatant. Once this was done I started the process for the Trial Digestion of my mononucleosomes. I prepared six different microcentrifuge tubes and label them with different numbers, shown in figure #2.
Figure #2 Two rows of different samples and different concentrations of Micrococcal Nuclease
Figure #2 shows two different rows of solutions, one solution was made up of 50 micro-liters of our supernatant and different concentration of Micrococcal nuclease. Once again Micrococcal nuclease is used to digest nucleic acids. We set this solutions to heat up for 55 minutes at a temperature of 37 degrees Celsius and once this is done we removed them from the heater and add 0.5 micro-liters of EDTA to stop this reaction. When we are done with all of this, we again prepare six other micro-centrifuges tubes with the same numbers but with an extra PK on the side to represent Proteinase K. This new tubes contain five micro-liters of our digested chromatic solution, five micro-liters of proteinase K, and 0.5 micro-liters of SDS. We then set this samples into the heater for 50 minutes at 50 degrees Celsius. Once this is done, we can placed our samples in the refrigerator to be used for the next day. During the time I was waiting for my solutions to heat up, I was making new Agarose gel in order to used it the next day and placed my samples in it. 
Today was a really productive day and a really hard one too, this is due to the pain I felt in my wrist after my tragic fail in the skateboard. All is well though, because only one person saw me fall and that doesn't count as a fall. To be honest with this wrist support my hand looks awesome!! but it doesn't mean it feels awesome. On the bright side, I am getting better and I have completed the work for this past days no matter how painful it was and I am proud of that. 
Figure #3 Never give up! even if you feel like your hand is going to fall. 

No comments:

Post a Comment