Tuesday, June 28, 2011
Week 7- Day 2
Today, we did got some good news and started working towards better news. Professor Andresen got the results of the gel he ran yesterday and found out that we had a good amount of NCP in our sample. Next, we found out that the test we ran with the spectrometer to monitor the ions present in our solutions was somewhat positive. There were a little off-concentrations in the solutions I made but ultimately, we noticed that the amount of phosphorus in the solution dropped steadily as the concentration of Mg in the solution increased. This is good news because it means that the NCP's are falling out of solution(condensing) as they contain phosphorus. To get better results, we decided to run the same tests again but this time with two different buffer solutions. The same one I made yesterday and a new one containing Tris and Nacl without Mg. We will analyze the results tomorrow.