Monday, June 28, 2010

June 28th

Today I continued my research into the Poisson-Boltzmann equation, as well as into an experiment done previously by Professor Andresen. His experiment used X-ray scattering instead of an OES, but I found one of his results to be very interesting and relevant to the experiments that we are doing now. He found that inter-DNA attractions began somewhere in between 1 ion per 5 base pairs and 1 ion per 4 base pairs. This is particularly interesting because the inter-DNA forces are what we are investigating, and our results should bare some resemblance to these numbers. In the afternoon, I began running the actual samples from our collaborator. I started with the first series, which is 1mM Co and ranges from 0mM Mg to 22.5 mMMg. I used a 100X dilution of these starting values though. I will analyze the results that I got tomorrow. I think that the concentrations might be a bit too low for accurate results, but they should give us a good first impression of what to expect.

No comments:

Post a Comment